2012. december 16., vasárnap

The Mamas


It all started with two lovely old Tahitian ladies, our hosts. Mama Erena, who was a dancer and Tanti Coucou, a singer. They had a hard time remembering our Hungarian names, so they decided to give us Tahitian names. One morning at the breakfast they told us they gave us the names and they sounded serious about it. I received the name Maire, meaning green fern, a plant they use very often to make costumes. Hunor's Tahitian name is Hirinaki. It means "someone you can lean on". It might be just a coincidence, but I was surprised that after such a short time they could give him such a fitting name. 
I was very touched by this simple gesture and I took our new names seriously. Why was it so important for me? First of all because I felt we got involved into an old, oral tradition. Second, because I love and respect the ladies. I love that every night they talk, sing, tell each other stories and laugh together in bed. They are lighthearted, happy and when I hear them talk and laugh they sound so young. 



On the last day before we left, Coucou, the singer brought her ukulele and sang us a few songs. With her flower behind her ear she looked lovely and you would never guess she just turned 82.

I am very happy i got to meet the Mamas and I take my name and her songs with me as presents from them...


Nincsenek megjegyzések:

Megjegyzés küldése